Sunday, February 05, 2012

I'm The Designer!

I've neglected poor Louie's coat.  I got to the welt pockets and then I took a little break, I mean, I made like 5 or 6 practice welts before I felt confident about the look of them.  I've sewn them on but I fear that one is a touch higher than the other.  I needed a break before having to go back in rip off the pocket and stitch it back on exactly like the other one in exactly the right spot.

So what did I do during my little break?  I could say, I relaxed, handled some business, ran some errands and I wouldn't be incorrect but it's the extra activity that I'm absolutely thrilled with.  I made this:
With the sides folded in.
                                 
Main pattern pieces

Huge tote-ing capacity

FEET!!

Silk lining, but no pockets :~(
I'm taking an online class on how to make a designer handbag over at How To Make A Designer Handbag.  I'm in the beginner class and this is the completion of assignment 1.  Now I am to go from where I left off with this bag and create an new one with some different added features.  I'm really enjoying it.  I never knew there was so much paper and glue in a bag.  Seriously, when you look at these $3000 handbags, you wouldn't assume you're looking at a paper bag but really that's kind of the heart of the bag.  I had such a great time creating this pattern and bag.  I can't wait to get started on assignment 1a.  I made a very similar pattern for the next project.  I didn't want to do this particular one again as it is a very, very big bag.  I used the silver leather I got some years ago at Metro Textiles  in NYC and some dark olive patent leather from some other New York shop.  The hardware is all from Fashionista Fabrics and the statement fabric is from Haberman's in Royal Oak.  I was there looking for lining for Louie's coat and I happened upon this remnant.  Mickey insisted that I get it because according to him, "it's your vibe, you're a peace and love chick." Never one to argue about fabric purchases, I allowed him to buy it for me, it was a remnant and only $10, score!  I knew I wanted it to be a bag and I thought that this was the perfect opportunity to take this class. Besides, I've been trying to do this since Tina and I first started discussing making new handbags this past summer.

It was sometimes an epic battle and I feel like I had to go to the store nine million times but I really dug it.  I'm thinking about adding a cylinder bed sewing machine to the family.  The straps were a bear to sew but that's because my needle kept getting gummed up from the variety of rubber cement I used.  Mick had to help me sew the top trim on, oh god what a nightmare, but it's finished and I'm happy.  For the next bag, I found a lovely vinyl remnant at Joann's (which I'd like to go on a rant about, but I won't...for your sakes) and I'm going to be doing a version of the Diane von Furstenberg Harper tote.  I have to do something with a front flap pocket and an inside zippered collar.  This one was based on the Milly shopper tote. Mine is very much my own and I'm sure the next one will be as well. Here's to the fun cool bags.

6 comments:

Eileen said...

I would love to hear more about these classes? How does it work? Is it easy? Did you buy the beginner supplies on the website?

L said...

I want one. NOW!!! Oh my gosh, I *love* that bag.

Tina said...

Well, you're one ahead of me. My bad is sitting in a sad little pile just staring at me. I don't know what happened, but I just lost interest. I think it was the vinyl fabric. :(

Sassy T said...

Fabulous bag. Am making a faux leather bag at the moment from a Vogue pattern. No paper in mine lol. Am a beginner and acquire quite a lot of transferable skills when making bags.

M. Inez said...

I'm curious to know if you went on to take the 2nd beginner class? Do you recommend the courses? Had you made bags prior to taking the course? I have made quite a few but am eager to expand my knowledge/skills. However I'm afraid I would be bored starting at a beginner level - which of course is required to take the advanced courses.

Melody said...

I'm not done with the beginner class yet. Everyone else has moved to a different level but I'm still on the second project. I don't think my head or heart is in it at the moment. I may get to it sometime in the near future. But I will say, it wasn't at all boring. So many things I learned and I've made tons of bags before this class. Now I actually understand what I'm doing (or at least trying to do).