Friday, November 11, 2011

Fashion Forward Patterns? Hmm...

I've recently gotten in a bunch of new fabrics at the store, and as a consequence I have the luxury of contemplating which one to sew next. I started looking at different garment shapes this season and I see some things I like and for which I have the perfect fabric. One thing I have been noticing is the lack of really high fashion patterns available. Is that why everyone is buying and sewing retro and vintage? I spent a long time looking through the new Vogue patterns and I only found a couple which I liked and those aren't really all that interesting. Everything seems a bit dull. Even the designer cocktail dresses seemed a bit MOB
Add to that, some of the more casual wear is just so billowy and not in a good way. Then today, the new Butterick patterns were released. How to say this delicately--they were "dowdy". What the hell?

No offense to McCall Pattern Co., I understand that choosing designer fashions is a business decision, they must appeal to as many customers as possible and by doing that, they really are forced to narrow it's focus to which products tend to sell the most. It's unfortunate but understandable. I really do like several of the looks from the previous release. Really fashion is mostly simple shapes anyway, it's what you do with that shape that makes it interesting.  I've been much happier with BurdaStyle magazines offerings lately. It feels like they're paying more attention to fashion. Or maybe the McCall Company needs a photo stylist.

I worry about the home sewing industry and it's future. I want to see more teens sewing. I always felt that having this ability was incredible. It's kept my hands and mind busy, and when I was up to no good, at least I was dressed fabulously. I know fashion is still as big an influence on society as ever and with that, you'd think people would want to perfectly craft their look. I watch Project Runway and I know a bunch of other people do as well and if fashion is so important, why aren't more people wanting to make it their own?? I mean, I window shop online as much as the next guy and I can't imagine having to buy 9 or 10 garments at $200-$300 a pop every season or every year for that matter. I've saved so much money because I sew my own outfits and have my own style. I think it's important to feel like you deserve the best. Even if you can't afford the $450 Adam dress,
adam net-a-porter
it doesn't mean that you can't be just as fashion forward as anybody else.. You know it fits and you know it looks like it was made for you, because it was. And best of all, it costs so much less than even what you could get for poor quality. I have Neiman Marcus taste and there's nothing wrong with that especially when it's on a Target budget.
Spider Mums Silk From Fashionista Fabrics
Rebecca Taylor for Vogue Patterns v1251
That equals out to be about $60. I can't imagine being able to find anything near that price or quality in a store. I'm sorry but Target is just not going to have anything that fabulous for $60. Seriously, how is this not more popular?

Anyway, I say all that to say that I really love sewing and fashion and I hope more people will also love sewing and fashion. I'd like to keep up the conversation about these things that I love, so expect to see more blogging and more sewing.

1 comment:

Mandi said...

I completely agree with everything in your post! I just don't see anything from Butterick that I would ever want. I don't know who they're aiming for.

Some of the vogues are nice. I bought quite a few of them, but I like that I can dye and silkscreen my own fabrics and use them on fairly simple dresses as a showcase.

I like the McCalls even less than the Butterick.