Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Wait, You're The What?!?

So there's a thread over on PR regarding the Facebook pages of the McVoguerick Co. and how the photos of the customer completed garments were acquired. A whole bunch of people, including me, were shocked and voiced our opinion. In fact, I posted three times on the subject. Anyway, I'd been following the thread pretty closely and I thought that maybe the McVoguerick higher-ups had no idea that this was being done or that people were too polite to tell them how they really felt. I called the company headquarters today, the woman I spoke with was helpful and didn't blow me off which I appreciated. She knew she couldn't help me so she sent me to someone who could. When I was transferred I told this woman about the flap over the Facebook pages. She said she'd have the guy who is in charge of that call me when he got back in the office in a couple of hours and she gave me his name. I figured that would be the end of the whole thing and that I'd never get a call back. Color me shocked and surprised when I received a phone call back a couple of hours later not from the guy who supervises the web staff but from the president of the company!! I actually couldn't believe that a CEO of a large company would actually return my call. He was a lovely man and seemed genuinely concerned. He was proactive and ready to try and rectify the situation. We even talked pattern trends for a bit. I was so pleased and amazed, that went a long way for me to know that they actually do listen to and value their customers. Good Job McCall pattern company.

7 comments:

Liana said...

They must be really concerned about this for the CEO to be making calls. What did he actually have to say about the whole fracas? Are they planning to change their M.O.?

Lisa Laree said...

Good job Melody! And how cool!

Melody said...

I didn't get that feeling from him, what I got was that he didn't want to alienate his customers just while he's trying to get more in touch with them. I don't know what they'll do but he did say that changes are coming. I think he's trying to create a more "hands on" culture at the McVoguerick, they need us and we need them. It was a positive exchange and I can say that I've had similar conversations with corporate managers at both Hancock Fabrics and Joanne Fabrics and in both cases, they did not seem to understand the importance of their customers, this was the complete opposite of those conversations for what that's worth.

Sherril said...

You're quite an impressive woman, Melody. It'll be interesting to see what changes are in store for this company and what they do differently in the future.

Elaray said...

Wow! I'm impressed. I always like to see companies respect their consumers. That kind of treatment should be the norm and not the exception.

KayY said...

I think if BMV tweaks its practices a tiny bit, it will achieve the elusive goal of both respecting its customers and being able to use images of their creations and projects for their corporate purposes. Let's face it, if we weren't willing to be "out there", we wouldn't be blogging. Being "out there" with the help of the big following BMV has would give any sewing blogger a little thrill. BMV shouldn't risk spoiling that, and losing the good will of their customer base, by just taking when we would all (or most) so willingly give permission, if they would just ask in a meaningful way.

marysews said...

I'm glad you called and shared this information!