Monday, May 16, 2011

What's Your Sewing Past?

I was going through some old photos the other day and I happened upon this picture of me taken when I was about 21. I remember we were going to a family reunion dinner and I worked on this dress forever. This was the first designer Vogue pattern I ever sewed by myself. I remember getting the front pieces confused and having to cut them out twice. I used some crappy poly charmeuse from JoAnn and I had re-buy it because I made so many mistakes (I didn't make muslins back then). I don't know why I didn't get my mom to help me, maybe I didn't live at home anymore, who remembers those things. I remember asking my boss (I worked at a shop making dance and skate costumes) and I got the best advice I've ever received as far as sewing is concerned. She said, "just try to make it look like the picture on the cover", BRILLIANT!!!! I was so proud of this dress when I finished it. I recently also found the pattern that I used.



Now that I'm a much more experienced sewer, I see so many things wrong with that dress. The shoulders are droopy, the fabric is fug and what's up with that bulge around my midsection? I still love that I felt like a million bucks in it and I loved wearing it. I don't think I wore it too often since I didn't have many places to wear it but still, LOVED IT! After this, I started making most of my clothes and I had a pretty cute wardrobe back in the day. Suffice it to say, I went clubbing a lot and I always had something fabulous to wear and enough money to buy my own drinks, thank you very much!

So my question to you is this: What's the first thing you made for and/or by yourself of which you were really, really proud? What is the item in your sewing past that burned into your soul and gave you that incredible feeling of empowerment?

9 comments:

Amy said...

Love the dress!

You know, I'm not sure that I've ever made anything for myself that I was very proud of. Most things are worn once or twice and then hang in the closet. I think part of that is I'm still not sure of my "style". Does that make sense?

Melody said...

Totally makes sense, I lost my sewjo for a long time because of that. Snoop shopping is my friend.

Shawnta said...

Great story! I'm still new to sewing so I can't say that I have made that piece just yet but I try to do something seeing related everyday so I'm sure I will get there.

Tina said...

I think you and the dress look fab!

Mary Beth said...

Simple: if I wanted something nice and new I had to make it.

knitmachinequeen (KMQ) said...

One of first things that I made that I was really proud of was a skirt that was below the knees. The fabric was kind of scratchy and I think I sewed the entire thing by hand. The stitches were small and as I remember it quite well put together. I remember my mother not liking it. No one was wearing skirts below the knee at the time but soon after it was the "in" thing. I wonder where I'd be now had she been more encouraging?

Pam~Off The Cuff ~ said...

This may sound silly...but it was after I made a shirt for my HS boyfriend in 1974! It was a "Rugby Shirt" (remember those?) made from Izod knit fabric with an inset front placket, etc. Anyway, he wore it to school and both teachers and other students (girls and some guys) said he looked "sharp", and wondered where he found a shirt to fit his very skinny frame ! He later wore it to our 10th HS reunion on "Picnic Day" ! Sewing=Good Memories for me, and I will never stop :)

narcissaqtpie said...

Love that story! I'm pretty pleased with everything that I sew but I cant think of anything I have made that was "the one." I'm hoping it will be my daughter's prom dress, I have about 4 years to get the skills, lol. And I am cracking up at your pattern because I acquired the same one from my aunt's stash a couple of years ago.

Helen K said...

Melody, there might be a few things that you could pick on about your dress, but you looked hot anyways!