Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Inching To The Finish Line

Or the laundry pile. I don't consider myself done with any sewing project until it's ready to be washed. Once it's laundry, it's officially done, at least in my world. I was so close to having finished my jeans yesterday. I just need to hem them and they're ready to go but yesterday ended up being one of those comedy of error days.

My very dear friend called and was going to come over and pay me a visit, I thought "oh how perfect, he can help me move the heavy stuff in the sewing room and help me clean off the table", so in the meantime, instead of going to hem the jeans, I decided to check out that "Angry Birds" game that everybody loves so much. I just sat around goofing off for a couple of minutes then my friend called to tell me that his car had broken down on the way to my house and he was pretty close by. Of course, I jumped into my (none too reliable) car to go wait with him for the tow truck, since it was like 10 degrees last night. Now here's where it gets interesting. I drove about 7 miles to where I thought he was, I saw no car and no store that he was calling from, so I called him. Turns out he was about 8 miles in the other direction, duh, I wasn't paying attention when he told me where he was and I ended up going on an extended tour of the neighborhood for no good reason. I eventually found him and we sat in the car for a really long time, luckily he's really interesting and quite chatty. Finally the police came and moved his car to a safer area but the tow truck was nowhere to be found. In fact, we watched three tow trucks drive by us before his finally showed up an hour and a half later. Then we had to drive to where the tow truck would drop off the car, then I had to switch cars so that I could take him back home as I didn't trust my own 21 year old car to make the trip to the other side of town, so I stopped off at Mick's work and we briefly got to see him and I met two of his students. We ended up having a lovely visit and a quite fun time despite of it all being in the car (since my car is so big and old, it's kinda like a big moving sofa). I finally arrived home three hours later around eleven at night. By this time, I was no longer interested in hemming or anything. Sometimes life gets in the way, but I was happy to have helped my friend and spent some time with him in the process, we laughed so much. I have higher hopes for sewing today. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

knitmachinequeen (KMQ) said...

That was entertaining! LOL

Michelle said...

LOL...I had a similar thing happen to me on Sunday. I'd planned to if not finish, then at least get the lining sewn/inserted on the coat that I'm working on, but that morning, my husband proposed that we go wine tasting. Needless to say, I didn't get any work done on my coat.

I'm looking forward to seeing your finished jeans--what pattern are you using?