Thursday, July 22, 2010

Lots of Sewing Machines Later...

I hadn't realized I'd not posted in so long. It's those darned sewing machines! One turns into two turns into twelve, thirteen? I lost count. I am really enjoying them and I've been using them all. I have 4 set up and a serger, it seems weird but it's actually pretty fun. I've gotten two dresses done finally. I started on v1160 for Chris a long, long time ago. I am super slow as I have oft remarked on this blog. I had quite a time with this dress but not due to the pattern. I started with poly georgette and I didn't do anything to control the shifty nature of any kind of crepe texture fabric, it just wants to creep. It was a disaster. Thankfully, I'd only cut one sleeve piece and tried to mark it before I realized it wouldn't work. I decided to make a strong solution of liquid laundry starch and water, which I applied liberally over the entire piece of fabric. I actually did the whole thing outside so it would dry quicker. Once it dried it was sooooo crazy easy to work with. Perfect folds, perfect markings, perfect cuts, an absolute dream. I want to make everything out of georgette now.

Here's Chris in the dress


I think she looks fabulous. And the dress worked out fine, I had to take in the final version a bit but it was smooth sailing. The zipper is in the side seam and I love the way the invisible zipper looked on it, Invisible! I love me some invisible zippers, I didn't have one in the right shade of blue but I had grey and blue nail polish, the only thing you can see is the zipper pull which looks great with just a coat of nail polish. I feel this dress was a valuable learning experience about how my sewing has progressed. I was pleased with the result and Chris was pleased but I think I can do better and I think what may help me the most is to have more patience. It takes me forever anyway, so there's no sense in rushing through anything. Back to the sewing machines!

6 comments:

Aminat said...

Beautiful...great job on the dress, your client seemed happy with it...

Mary Beth said...

It's a beautiful dress on a gorgeous person. Poly georgette without the discipline of starch! Makes ya want to pray a lot, right? Congrats, Melody, it looks great.

Mom2fur said...

Very pretty! Hmmm...did anyone ever tell Chris she looks like a young Stevie Nicks?

Mary E said...

Melody this dress is super, and looks fabulous on her! Love dresses with boots.

Ashley M. said...

Great look from head to toe, great dress!

paco peralta said...

Hi Melody.- Only wish you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. My best wishes for another year full of happy sewing ...!!!