Sunday, April 04, 2010

Final Freakin' Lee

Well, I finally did it, I finished Mickey's laptop bag. It started out as Louie's laptop bag but he no longer needed it as he gave said laptop to Mickey. So I started this last year. I am not joking when I say I'm the world's slowest sewer. I cut it out back around January of '09. There are a million pieces to this thing but I gotta say, this was really easy to make. I have become a fan of Nicole Mallalieu patterns. They are very well written and there are photos which are really good for those of us who are visual thinkers. I didn't make the interior flap pocket because I just didn't feel like stretching this project for another month!






I used cotton duck for the body of the bag, an Alexander Henry cotton print "Pure Muscle" (because we're Detroit kids and love some Detroit muscle) for the flap. I cut out some shapes from reflective tape and placed them on the headlights and some of the windows. I then used iron-on vinyl to cover the flap and the front pocket. Mickey was over the moon, he loves cars, in fact, he's on the phone right now reading a car magazine to Louie!?! Now on the vinyl laminate, I'm not sure I would use that again on my laptop bag because the bag has to be manipulated so much before you finish that it crinkles up the finish and conceivably could tear the laminate. I've been thinking about using this cool Amy Butler home dec print for mine and using the original oilcloth techniques to waterproof the flap (although, I'm worried about the fire hazard issues). The strap instructions were awesome and I'm excited to make one for myself (much more girly, I think). Fashionista Fabrics carries the hardware for this one

and hopefully will soon carry the patterns. Her patterns are awesome.

3 comments:

Alison said...

My daughter would so love that laptop bag. She is really into muscle cars too! Nicole's patterns are fab & I've got that one but haven't had the time to make it yet. You did a great job.

poppy said...

nice job,if your using home-dec fabric couldn't you just use waterproof (spray) ? sometimes I cheat and go to thrift stores - for a few dollars you can buy a book bag and re-use all the hardware and straps etc, especially when I am impatient and can't wait for the shipping!

Nikki said...

LOVE IT! I love the reflective tape on the car print idea, too.

Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to write a review of my pattern. I really do appreciate it, and I'm so glad that you appreciated the time I put into the instructions.

And yeah - I've never had much luck with those laminates. I prefer to use pvc tablecloth cover (which you can buy per metre here in the furnishing departments of fabric stores).