Monday, November 23, 2009

In Spite of My Flu-ishness

I've been pretty quiet because aside from my computer crapping out, Mick got sick in September and spent the whole of October with either a cold or the flu. Poor thing, I tried to stay away but there's only so much you can do, and I don't think I caught his cold. I was at my swim class and the very next day I started feeling poorly. I had to miss two weeks of swim class and one week of ceramics. I also missed the end of my tailoring class but that was no great shakes. Now, I'm sick again with the stomach flu. I think I'll miss swim class again tonight and luckily there's no ceramics class this week. I can't believe I've been sick for most of October and now November. Oh well. I have still gotten some things done. I finished one (1!) garment for the swap contest on PR and it's really not even finished until I get my buttons from the ceramics class. I obviously have made a million ceramics things. Some good, some not so much, you're welcomed to view the photos on my flickr album. I love the covered vessel.

I also started teaching one of our young library friends how to sew, she is an absolute doll and it's fun working with her. It's amazing the things we take for granted as far as our knowledge is concerned. I've cut out the muslin for the pants that I want to make and I'm confident that will be done by the end of this week, I'm hoping to squeeze in a woven shirt as well.

Ooh, I also took a class on how to do right angle bead weaving and I've made a couple of pieces combining the beadwork with the ceramic pendants that I've made. I absolutely love doing it. I love the bead store (Pam's Bead Garden in Plymouth) and I adore Pam, she's a great teacher. Here's how it's coming along. I made a serious mistake in that Pam and I think the thread on the pendant is going to break but I cross that bridge when I come to it. In the meantime, I still have to weave in all those thread tails and attach closures.

The pendant is one I made in the Pewabic Jewelry class that I took with Lynnelle. This is the only piece that came out remotely like how I'd hoped and actually, because I didn't know what I was doing, I got a cool unexpected effect. The symbol on it means success and I need to be wearing that sucker every day what with the bank on my ass. But that's a whole 'nother story.

1 comment:

Debbie Cook said...

Sorry to hear you've been (and are) sick!! Feel better soon. I hope you're well enough to pig out on turkey!