Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Wow, Just Wow

The American Sewing Expo was this weekend and I have to say, it was the most fun I've had at the Expo ever. I've been going to the expo for a really long time, maybe 10 years. It has changed a lot over the years, for one thing, the poor economy seems to have really changed the landscape of it. I used to arrive and not be able to see anything because of the massive crowds, you couldn't even move and you completely understand the rule about no wheeled carts, people would get injured in that kind of crowd. This time the expo was more sparse. There seemed to be less crafty vendors and more sewing vendors (which is good). I didn't have a booth at the expo. I have yet to have a booth at the expo, I'm thinking we'll have one next year, we'll see.

Anyway, PatternReview.com had a booth this year which was super good. Deepika came and a bunch of folks from the area and from other areas met up not only at the PR booth but at the PR meetup which was Friday night. Lynn and Therisa came up with the idea that we should all make something from the same fabric and we all used the Shine On Jersey from my store to make our tops. Lynn and I made the cardi-wrap that is much like the DKNY cozy, Stephanie made Simplicity 4095, Therisa made her own version of a La Mia boutique top and Nicole made a modified version of a Simplicity top, the number of which I can't remember. It was very cool, we tried on each others stuff (except Nicoles' maternity top). Most of the group that I sew with was there and I got to meet a bunch of cool new people, Diane, Nancy, Alice, Heather, Patty, Brian, Peter and more (I'm sure I've left out people, if you're reading this and I left you out, call me, we'll hang out and sew together, yes?). I had a great time, Deepika is just a sweetheart and really fun. I hope we do this every year. Deepika, you have to make the Expo a permanent part of your yearly schedule.

I'll get the photos uploaded for the next post but right now, I have to go sew.

1 comment:

Kristine said...

Thank you for all your hard work backstage during the fashion show! I don't know how you managed to herd us all in the right direction at the right time wearing the right garments, but you did it! It was a pleasure meeting you, too, and I would love to spend some quality time sewing with you in the future!