Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Review Vogue 8379






Pattern:
Vogue 8379

Pattern Description:
This has been reviewed so many times, I'm sure you get the drift, wrap dress, soft pleats, ties yada yada

Pattern Sizing:
The range is from 8-22, I made the 22

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes, except less willowy

Were the instructions easy to follow?
The instructions were very easy to follow.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
The only, only thing I don't like is the front facing of the skirt. It folds over and that's that. However, because it's such a deep overlap of the skirt, you never really worry about that.

Fabric Used:
A last seasons poly jersey from Fashionista Fabrics.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:
Well, I always have to make accommodations for my full bust so I did an FBA and I also added an inch onto the bottom of the front and back bodice length. The thing that makes or breaks this for the plus size chicky is the length of the ties. I added about 6" because they have to go from the front to the back and back around to the front side and still have enough length to make the bow. The first version I made was my wearable muslin which was good thing. I needed to know that tie length thing. On the first version, I can wear the ties in the front but it looks like it's a struggle, so I wear the ties in the back and it's all good. I also added the collar to the second version but it's kind of hard to see in the photo because of the busy print. I interfaced both the hem and the sleeve hems with small strips of fusible interfacing for knits (I think I used fusi-knit) and that helped greatly with the hems. I used the coverstitch on the first version and just a regular straight stitch on the second version

My mother had the original DVF pattern in the 70's and it was very, very much like this dress. I don't remember the specifics of it but from what I can remember, this looked pretty similar. I also remember that my mother, who was similarly large busted looked awesome in her dress and wore it all the time. It was her "go to" for a chic urban sophistication boost.

I wasn't going to make this dress at all, somehow it slipped under my radar. Lynnelle suggested that I make it with her and I wasn't too committed to it at the beginning but once I saw her muslin, I went full steam ahead and I'm glad I did. Thanks Lynn.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Are you kidding?? I love this pattern. It isn't a great pattern of 2007 and 2008 for no reason. I'm already planning on making a third long sleeved version for the fall.

Conclusion:
If you don't already have this pattern, go buy it, sit down and sew it up, right now!

Oh, BTW, this is my wearable muslin



And the reason I look like I'm about to crack up laughing is because my friend Tina is eight and a half months pregnant and holding Rochelle's piece of black fabric up behind me. We figured the dress would blend in with the wall, so they all came up with a great solution, leave it to a room full of chicks. Anyway, she's cracking up laughing because she has no center of gravity and is yelling for Lynn to take the picture. If you look closely, you can see her arms stretched out behind my head.

Thanks for the pics ladies, Good Girls!!!!

13 comments:

Adrienne said...

I love it!

Bunny said...

Looks absolutely wonderful on you. I don't think you could make too many of this design.

Shannon said...

Two great new dresses to add to your wardrobe!

Mary Beth said...

You look really great in this style! Now, maybe you've given me the push to make up this pattern, I've been such a "woven" girl for the past couple of years.

Elaray said...

The dress looks great. You and I have similar body types. I have to watch what you make very closely! ;)

mitch1066 said...

very flattering,i really must make a couple of these.Must remember the adjustments you made too.Thanks for sharing:)

knitmachinequeen said...

Girl you know you are working that dress! You're gonna make me have to sew a wrap.

Nicole said...

That is a great dress, I am sorry I missed seeing it up close!

Els said...

Fantastic wrap dress, looks great on you.

kiltsnquilts said...

Great dress, great shoes and great legs! Makes me want to make a wrap dress, now!! :-)

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

You look AMAZING in this dress!!!

Tina D. said...

Melody,

You look awesome in your dress!

toy said...

that is really a great pattern, your dress came out great. so funny about your friend holding up the black fabric behind you, the things we do to get the job done