Thursday, April 02, 2009

Vogue Summer 2009 And Sisterhood











I love the new Vogue Patterns. I ordered these yesterday, I got a killer sale price from using a 75% off coupon and my Club BMV membership. I know I don't need more patterns and I was really trying to stop but then this whole new batch came out and I am very pleased. I was reading the thread on PR regarding this new crop and most people don't like them. I say to them, "Are ya nuts?? These are great!" No seriously, I think these are perfectly on trend and I, for one, LIKE Hammer pants. I wore them the first time around and they're totally cool (literally and figuratively). I might hate them on since I have a much different body from the first time, but I'm game and the pattern was only like $2.71. Besides, I saw some really cool ones at Neiman Marcus made from hammered silk and they were really quite beautiful.

At the moment I'm working on a new woven blouse, a knit dress and quilting a piece that I started like 9-10 years ago. The blouse is the most challenging since I am loathe to make a woven blouse because of all the fit issues and because the pattern doesn't come in my size. If you're interested, here's the topic discussion. We've been having a really great time working on it, since we're all working on either the same thing or similar things with similar and completely different issues. The best part is that we're working on these together. Which brings me to the Sisterhood section of this post. Get ready for some mushy.

Both Pam Erny and MaryBeth bestowed upon me the Sisterhood Award. I can attest to just how wonderful having sewing friends is. For the longest time, it was just me in my little sewing room, my mom and I would talk about it but we rarely sewed together. When I walked away from my career in 2000, I had no idea what to expect, I was dreading the loneliness and isolation. I was used to being around 200 really interesting, cool people (and 100 a**holes) and I knew I would be home alone with only three cats to keep me company. Slowly, I started hanging around on the internet, searching the word "sewing".  Luckily I happened upon "Sewing World" and there I met a bunch of really wonderful people who were doing the same thing as me. I am happy to say that those days on the internet changed my life in a really positive way. Because of it I became much more involved in the thing that I love, sewing. And then last year, after reading "The Secret" I decided that I wanted some real life sewing friends and the next thing you know, because of the internet, there they were. A bunch of super cool women who aren't just my sewing buddies but who are my friends. I'm so incredibly happy and fortunate to have a sewing sisterhood, people who I get to see on a regular basis, people who I've only seen in person once or twice but whom I consider real friends, and people whom I know through their blogs and comments and reviews. So the Sisterhood award is a great thing and I pass it on to all my sewing sisters and there are too many to name. You have no idea how much you mean to me and how important you are in my life. All I can say is thank you so very much for all that you share and give. I don't know what I'd do without you.

Love to All

1 comment:

Rose said...

Oh gracious! how did I miss that thread on PR? I've skimmed the first page and I'm enraptured--I'm tagging this discussion so I can follow. I like some of the odder patterns that Vogue releases. I tend to buy them when they are on sale (uh, there is very little that I purchase at full price) because the I think that the fabric is doing interesting things. I mean, once you get TNT blouse or pants, do you really want to get the same thing? Now, I don't have a TNT pant or blouse pattern, but someday I will.