Monday, October 27, 2008

I Actually Sewed Something

What! Why that's crazy! No, I've been either crazy busy or sick so I haven't had much time to sew. Wait, no, I take that back. I have been sewing, just nothing I'm particularly enamored of. Well except for the quilt I finally finished for Fork's baby, I started it before she was born and she's 2 1/2 now. Of course, I forgot to take a picture of it. It is super cool, it has pieces of some of my favorite garments and some of my mom's garments and it's quilted with little gold triangles and around the border has gold metallic meandering quilting for an extra dose of fabulousness (perfect for this most fabulous of little girls, she's a true diva). Then I lost my mojo for a long while because I just wasn't digging the fit on some things, but I think it's back. I'm sure it's only temporary. I told Mick that I probably should get a dress form because I'm shaped so uniquely, it's kinda difficult to work it out flat pattern method, at least not on top, bottoms, I can pretty much handle. Mostly cause I have a flat arse and straight hips, so it translates well to flat patterns. You know flat=flat.

Anyway, I made these really, really cool pants.

I'm going to get Mick to take a better picture because they really are cute, much cuter than this photo would have you believe and they feel like you can't believe. I remember when my mom used to make me wool pants when I was a kid, I hated them, they were always the last thing I'd pull out of the closet to wear to school because they were so itchy, it had to be a really cold day when I didn't mind wearing tights and spraying myself down with anti-static spray. I was going to line these until I tried them on and OH MY, they felt sooooo good, not at all scratchy. I love sewing with wool anyway, it's so forgiving and so organic, its like it wants to be what you want it to be. I love cutting it, sewing it, pressing it, hand sewing it, just everything about it is so easy, it turns my sewing experience into a zen sewing experience and that's exactly what I've needed of late.

I thought the pattern was going to be a little too small for me so I added all this width to the front of the pants but when I tried them on they were huge. I had to take everything out that I'd added in plus more in the back so the darts are awfully close to the zipper but I'd already put the zipper in and it looked pretty darn good, I just couldn't take the zipper and the darts out and redo the entire back so I figure, you know, whatever. Anyway, nobody should be looking that closely at my butt anyway, right?


Because I'd made all those adjustments and then had to take them out anyway, I knew the pattern facing pieces wouldn't work so I created my own by laying the fabric over the pants and tracing out the proper facing. I used this really nice pink silk cotton so that it would be even more lux against my waist. Oh, it's lux alright.


I do really like these pants. My only complaint is one that I have with my own workmanship. I can see the line of demarcation from the handsewing of the hem. I can't stand it. I may just take the hem out and redo it so that it's hidden under the cuff which will make the cuff bigger and the pants longer but that's not a bad thing and it'll keep me from feeling like something just isn't right. Oh and can you believe it, this pattern is out of print. It seems like I just bought it but I realized that was two years ago. Man am I behind!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW I love your pants! I read your blog all the time but never comment.

Anyhow, I HAVE THAT PATTERN!!! I think I might have to copy you.

Barbara

Sherril said...

I'm so glad you got your sewing mojo back. I love following you in your sewing adventures. These pants are fab and your cute little bottom looks wonderful in them.

Mary Beth said...

Bigger cuffs are going to be perfect with the width those pant legs. Very cool pants!

Michelle said...

Love these--I agree...great minds! ;)

I need to finish a couple of other projects first, but I'm planning to use one of my Burda trouser patterns for my version of these. (If you haven't tried Burda pants, they're definitely worth trying for our figure types--I only have to make minor tweaks to them if I go by the hip measurement.)

artist1lisa said...

Melody,I'm glad to see you sewing again.I love the pants and the fit is great.I have the same booty as you.LOL

Audrey said...

Those pant do look great on you! Keep that pattern!

alethia said...

I am working with this pattern. The pattern has a lot of ease. I was able to use the size 8. So far I only need to lengthen the crotch and add a 1' to the waist.

I did not realize that the pattern was discontinued