Friday, September 19, 2008

Neiman Marcus Taste, Newport News Budget

So, generally what I end up doing a lot is looking at Anthropologie, Bluefly, Neiman Marcus and Style.com for inspiration and the new collections. I love what I find and I think about (only because I haven't actually been sewing clothes right now) what I'd like to copy. Well, I've been receiving Newport News catalogs up the wazoo because I've purchased shoes from them and wouldn't you know, they have this whole SWAP thing as part of their marketing campaign. Look see:





They have five more of these wardrobe editorials. It helps to see them all planned out like this. These, coupled with the amazing work that I just witnessed on the PatternReview site, has got me seriously wanting to sew clothing again (I've been working on quilts and boxer shorts). The thing that has kept me from doing it is fit (of course). I think I need to get a really good pinnable dressform. I'm seriously looking into the MyTwin Dressform, no I take that back-- I'm going to buy the MyTwin Dressform just as soon as is possible. I really miss sewing clothing and I worry that I'm going to forget what I know by the time I get back to it. Plus looking at all the Newport news stuff versus the Neiman Marcus stuff; I know that what I make will be closer in quality to NM than to NN and I have a great stash of fabrics to work from, so I'm hoping to in these next few months get into serious sewing mode. I'm pretty excited already and I'm not even close to having a plan. Besides, I need something to go with the great shoes from Newport News.


This is my favorite collection as I'm all about the color, the houndstooth and the pencil skirt. I'm going to start planning this one out for myself right now. In fact, I joined the PatternReview Pattern Stash Contest and the pencil skirt is the first thing on my agenda, not the first contest item cause I cut it out like about half a year ago but the subsequent stuff to go with, certainly.

4 comments:

TeeThymeDiva said...

I have been looking through my NN, Chadwick's and Anthropologie, too. They will really inspire you and give you great ideas. Knowing how to sew is a wonderful thing.

artist1lisa said...

I'm glad you are getting your sewing groove back.Thanks for posting these cool pics.I might have to rejoin Pattern Review just to cheer you on.Go Girl.

Alison said...

Thank you so much for this. I find this sort of thing hugely inspiring. I think my favourite is the animal print one. I hope you don't mind, but I've posted about this, and also added a link to this post and the Newport-News website on my fledgling blog.

Amy said...

You know, the swap pages are one of the things that I like so much about NN catalogs. I am a much better copier than orginalist.

I left you a prize over on my blog.