Wednesday, March 26, 2008

One More Question And One More Answer

First off, I forgot to answer a question regarding this book "Sew Wonderful Silk" by Cheryl Arrants with Jan Asbjornsen, I didn't think I was going to like it and when I received it I was shocked at how tiny it was, but upon further inspection, I think it's a really good resource for sewing silk. It discusses silk and only silk and all the intricacies therein. I really hate that I spent almost $30 bucks on it, it's just a little book afterall, but I do think that over the life of my sewing, it'll certainly be worthwhile. So if you can find the book and get it for less than a fortune, go for it.

No for my next question. I was still pondering my trenchcoat and by the way LoriV just made a killer version on PatternReview. There are three reviews of that coat and I'm anxious to get cracking on that. I know I'm going to have to build a serious muslin because of my several different sizes body and the million pieces of the coat but that's neither here nor there. My question now is a fabric one, I probably won't cut out the fashion fabric until Saturday so I'm asking for opinions. You know I really like the Burberry version (in black):

But the Dior version is pretty damned hot.



Now, I don't have zebra print fabric but I do have this really cool cotton poplin with a bit of stretch that is a deconstructed houndstooth print.


Conceivably, this would evoke the same effect as the Dior coat. I thought my mind was made up with the black laminated linen but now I'm not so sure, neither is Mick. I know Rico's choice is going to always be for black but what does anybody else think???

5 comments:

RiAnge Creations. Ltd. said...

Hi Melody,
I love all animal prints and anything even remotely resembling an animal print. So the deconstructed houndstooth gets my vote. As a matter of fact, I've been eye balling it soon I may be be ordering about three yards of it soon.

Angela

Berry said...

Thanks for your answer, it's very helpful. Now as far as your trenchcoat is concerned I'd go for the safe and always classy black but if you are adventurous and fancy a bit of originality go for the houndstooth. Sorry if that doesn't help much...

Anonymous said...

Of course black is always best, but why limit yourself? The houndstooth is great too, although the scale is different from the zebra (or whatever) print. Why not make both? Get your ass to work!

Michelle said...

Black is boring. Go for the houndstooth. ;)

I ordered some of that a while back and originally wanted to make a lightweight jacket with it, but now the weather is getting warm, and I love wearing skirts in the summer, so I'm leaning towards a skirt now...

Linda said...

The houndstooth will be a great trench and will have that Dior look to it. Go for it!