Sunday, February 10, 2008

The Dress, PR and Butterick

First on the dress, I decided to go with the fuschia orbits.  I've only traced the pattern and I've not yet done the FBA because it's been too cold lately to go to the sewing room.  I mean, I can see my breath, see my breath people.  That's freakin' cold!  I really would like to get back to it but in the meantime, I've been studying my fit books and worrying about weight that I haven't lost.  
On the fun tip, I found Project Runway spoiler photos over on  (you've been warned) Project Rungay and Getty Images. I kinda wish I hadn't because it's quite a good juicy surprise, so bear that in mind if you decide to hop over there. 
The new Butterick patterns just came out and much to my surprise I like some of them.  I have two on my "must make" list.  


Everyone knows I'm a fan of the dress and this is cute and casual, I think it might be nice.

Everyone also knows that I'm a bigger fan of the twist tops. This is a good new "twist" (if you will) on the twist top. I like that it's asymetrical and more of a tunic.  I can see myself in it and I think it'll be something I'll feel comfortable wearing.  

Now, back to the whole "losing weight" thing.  On the one hand, I'm trying to embrace my curvy, womanly physique; but on the other hand, God, if I could just wear a size 8 again.  I may have spent too much time looking at waif models for the fall collections but I remember when I could wear anything.  I enjoyed sewing more then than I do now because I knew it would look good when I finished.  I'm trying to love the way I look or at least not focus on it so much but when one is constantly taking one's own measurements and comparing them to patterns, well, it's just not the easiest thing in the world.  That's why I never finish anything.  I get to a certain "try on" point and I think I look just awful and I give up.  Not healthy, I know but still very real and very painful.  When I did weigh 120, I never ate, I smoked constantly and I was always taking some diuretic or something else to keep me emptied out.  I stopped because I got over it and I wanted to be healthy and now I'm just as unhealthy and overweight!  Oh dear, what is a girl to do.  I've been buying shoes like there's no tomorrow, at least by spring I'll have happenin' feet.  I will soldier on and finish my coat and that dress.  I still got a little "work it out" in me. Plus, I think I've got a bit of cabin fever and seasonal affective disorder.  I'm not usually such a buzzkill (that's Mickey's job)

5 comments:

RiAnge Creations. Ltd. said...

Hi Melody,
Fabulousness comes in all shapes and sizes. Just look at this clip. This is my sister Delali and her clothing line. I encourage her to not dwell on weight loss but on being healthy. I encourage her to move that luscious body of hers in some way. Turn up the music and dance, take a walk. She joined Curves a year ago and though the pounds have been slow to drop off, she has gained a greater sense of self confidence. Together we celebrate every pound lost. Yes, she is still working on the weight loss, but she knows she's just as fabulous at a size 24. Fabulousity to the max!!!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K1Ux1lDwVQ

Angela
creativediva728@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Melody, I'm sorry you're not in a happy place right now. However, I think the two patterns you picked from Butterick would look fantastic on you. They are the two I picked out to sew up before summer. I look forward to seeing your progress on them.

~Sherril Miller~

angiesangels said...

Ahhhh...the weight loss battle. Been there, done that, twice. I lost 30 pounds only to gain it all back. I wish I could be happy with my body. I lost 60 pounds this past year and I'm still not happy. I blame society. There, that makes me feel better. Actually, people do say that buying a pair of shoes does tend to make one feel better. I hope things start looking up soon. :)

Diane said...

I feel your pain with the weight bizness. I too used to be a size 8--only 5 years ago or so. Now I'm a (gulp) 22. I understand only too well how you feel about sewing. I can't tell you how many things I've started and never finished cause they didn't look good on my too large (in my opinion) body. I know we're supposed "to love the body we're in" but sometimes its just too damn hard, especially if we haven't always been in this body. Coincidentally, I am going to Weight Watchers after work today and I'm going to try one more time to lose some of this weight! Wish me luck. Good luck to you whatever you decided to do. You can cry on my shoulder any time you want. LOL!

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

Melody - you know I'm plus size and some days I think I'm the only plus size person happy with her body! That whole losing weight thing I don't get, however, if you feel it will make you happy go with it.

I wanted to tell you that when I got a few TNT patterns and the ability to change them to reflect what I wanted I was a whole lot happier with my sewing. I knew how it was going to end up so I wasn't disappointed at the end. 'Cause I definitely understand that feeling when a garment is done and you go, I did all that work to get this?