Tuesday, January 22, 2008

It Takes One To Know One

O.k. so yesterday, I was all scandalized by the assertion that I and my hobby are "geeky" but after some thought while hemming my coat sleeves, I came to understand and even agree with that assertion.  My only problem is this, if we're geeks why don't we truly let our geek flag fly.  I don't know about the rest of you but I've been to a Sci-Fi Convention and I tell you what, nobody parties like sci-fi nerds.  It's like they finally don't have to hide who they truly are and they get their freak on.  You haven't lived until you've gotten drunk on "Warp Core Breaches" danced with a Klingon and sang folk songs with Lt. Tuvok.  The next day, everyone is really quiet but really happy. And plus you make all these friends that you never would have met otherwise.  Sheryl is over the moon about her new Con-Fusion friends, she had an absolute blast and met some really cool people whom, I know, she'll keep in touch with. I have never, never been to a sewing expo/convention that didn't bore the crap outta me.  It's just shopping and boring classes.  Where's the party??? I mean really, we're a diverse group and we love fashion so what's the dealio on the lameness.  I can't think of one sewing convention that say Jay McCarroll might want to go to (without getting paid)  and he's one of us, a true sewing geek.  I am going to make it my personal mission to have a fun sewing party here in the hood sometime soon.  And you can bet your bottom dollar, there's going to be sewing and booze (maybe not simultaneously).  Would you go to a fun sewing con?? Or a better question, would you come to my fun sewing con???

4 comments:

Debbie Cook said...

Pants fitting and booze ... now THAT could be hilarious!! Where's my invite? ;-)

Keely said...

You betcha I'd be in! - only I'm in NZ so it's a bit far to come :(

Anonymous said...

I'd be angling for an invite too, except I'm in Australia. Sewing expos/ conventions are soooo boring! Why is this so ?
Rubydarling

artist1lisa said...

Absolutely! I go to Dragon Con (sci-fi convention in Atlanta) every year and I know what you mean about fun.