Tuesday, November 20, 2007

What A Day

And it's not even 3pm. O.K., yesterday my brother spent the night and he wakes up early, so we got up and we got a bunch of stuff done. One of the things I had to do was to go to the Secretary of State (DMV here in Michigan) and get plates for my dad's truck. My dad, try as he might, couldn't get this thing working for at least a year and then it sat for a year after he passed away. He LOVED that truck and I always though it was kinda weird, but now, I don't know, I really like it. It's less of a thing and more of an entity. It feels like my dad. It needed a ton of work just to get it moving but we have the coolest mechanic in the world and it took him a while but he got it moving. We picked it up after I got all the plates and stuff. Just hearing it start up made me want to cry. I told Mick he'd have to drive it home because I thought I'd sob the whole way. I sat in it after Mike got it started and it felt like my dad was there giving me a big hug. Mickey and I hemmed and hawed but we've decided to keep it and try to fix it up all fancy like (you know, kinda "Pimp My Ride" but less blingey) I joined a forum for old Chevy trucks and now I'm convinced more than ever that we have a diamond in the rough. Plus it's perfect for me because I work at home, I don't drive that much and so the 13 mpg isn't that big of a deal (like having a Hummer with none of the amenities). It's going to be a huge project and I know nothing about trucks but it makes me so happy. It makes me want to drive down dirt roads while singing Bob Seger songs from the 70's (I don't even like Bob Seger that much)

Yesterday, I got my meditation CD so I tried it and I felt so good afterwards. I went down to the sewing room and put on some Guns N' Roses and Led Zeppelin and proceeded to work like mad on my coat. I was having so much fun it was crazy.

I had to create my own roll line, I don't know why they don't put that on. I don't know how they address this in the instructions but I know how I want my collar.

I got half of the padstitching done on the collar
and I'll finish it on the way to Whole Foods this afternoon (God, I hope I can find a small turkey!)

Then this morning I get up and Mickey went out to get the mail and he says "you have a package" and I really couldn't think of anything I'd ordered. I've already received my new knife and the quilting fabric I ordered. What could it be??? It was a present from my dear sweet brother in law for my name day. Now, I'm always joking about Slash (from Guns N' Roses) being my fantasy brother in law but he's got nothing , NOTHING on my real brother in law. Now I don't know Slash and he's probably a great and fun guy but Louie is so freakin' cool . He sent me this


In the next few days I'll share some of the images and fantasize about re-creating them. This is turning out to be an incredible week. I finally got a car that I like, I did some quality sewing, I hung out with my brother, I got a fabulous present from Louie, and I get to cook like a madwoman. Pumpkin soup anyone?

2 comments:

toya said...

awww. what a sweet story about your dad's truck, I can understand how you feel about it. I am happy for you.

more cowbell said...

Hey, what a fantastic story about your dad's truck! I really liked reading that. Great stuff. Good for you.