Monday, October 15, 2007

Reading About Sewing

So I haven't been interested in TV in a while except for NBC Thursdays (I laughed my a$$ off) and I really wasn't into it last night I decided to finish reading "The Collection". It's that novel written from the perspective of a seamstress in Coco Chanel's workrooms in the early part of the twentieth century. It was a pretty good book. Kind of a cross between "The Girl With The Pearl Earring" and those series of quilter novels. I liked this better than the quilter novels because it wasn't about quilting it was about garment sewing and how one can become really attached to a garment that one has created. I have had that feeling about a few things that I've made, not all of course but I feel very special about my beaded embroidery on my jacket. Every time I touch those beads, I'm taken back to that space in time when I was threading those needles and attaching those beads. Sometimes a work does get into your soul and I know other people feel that way too. So tell me, what is your piece that makes you feel that way, that certain je ne sais quoi?

Anyway the book was so evocative of that feeling that I'm really inspired to sew something special. I don't know what it'll be, I'm going to start on it today though.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

I agree, that was a good book. It is amazing how we, as sewers, can become attached to something we so lovingly create. Now that you're feeling inspired it will be fun to see what you make.

Meggy said...

I am going to get that book, it sounds like a good read.

more cowbell said...

Well, I did sew a crib set for my daughter, now 18, but the only feeling I get when I think about it is stress. In fact, if I ever saw that crib set again, with its Beatrix Potter theme, I'd probably run screaming from the room. I made diorama in grade school that I felt pretty good about, though...

I guess that whole crafty gene just totally skipped my ass, huh?