Thursday, September 06, 2007

Butterick 5079





Well I finally finished Butterick 5079. I really like the front twist-y ness. The bodice piece is interesting in that it is one piece that is laid out lengthwise but sewn horizontally. I thought I would have to use a size 22 but I used a 20 and did an FBA which at first looked quite daunting. Once you figure out where the shoulder and bust points are on the bodice its pretty straightforward.



What I ended up doing is slicing the bodice piece in half and adjusting one half of it according to my needs (I need added bust length and width) and then doing the same alterations on the other half and putting them back together. I didn't change the sleeve at all even though that would have been necessary on a woven fabric. I made a slight sloping shoulder adjustment and that was it. Mind you, the bodice is supposed to be lined. I just didn't think it was necessary so I left that step out and I interfaced a small strip around the neckline and simply stitched it down. The neckline is rather wide and kinda plunging so that is a consideration if you want to wear this to some place where that much cleavage is frowned upon. I do like the little tucks at the shoulder and the way the twist drops into it. It really is a lovely dress. I'm wearing on the back porch of the Saugatuck house but it was too hot to wear it out anywhere so I can save this for my fall wardrobe swap. I used this fabric, it was super easy to sew, it isn't actually hemmed at the moment, but I intend to use the steam a seam lite strips to fold it over and stabilize the hem, but I don't have to hem if I don't want to as this fabric won't ravel but I'd rather have a hem in this dress, it's pretty dressy and I think hemming is appropriate in this case.

All in all, I'm happy with this dress and I may make it again, maybe the sleeveless version for next summer, I really love the drapey sophistication. I think it's cool and once you get the alterations you need down, it doesn't take much time to sew. There isn't any complicated parts to it, it just looks that way.

10 comments:

Erica B. said...

I think you dress turned out great! This one is on my list too.

Anonymous said...

The pattern/style does look complicated. I think you were very brave taking on that FBA. It turned out wonderful and you look smashing in it. If I weren't a coward, I'd have a go at that pattern.

Cute video, thanks for sharing.

Vonne said...

Gorgeous dress Melody. I have just received this pattern and want to make it asap, now that I have seen your great result.

Adrienne said...

This is on my list too! LOVE it! you look Fab!

LauraLo said...

Beautiful dress and very sexy. I love the fabric too.

Linda said...

Gorgeous dress. And congratulations on your Rocking Girl Blog award. You do rock, look at all the stunning dresses you make!

more cowbell said...

You look fantabulous, really. Great dress. I so admire your sewing skills. The last thing I made was a crib set for my now 18yr old daughter. I'm surprised I didn't sew my finger to it.

LauraM said...

You look wonderful in your dress! The style & fabric were a fabulous marriage.

artist1lisa said...

You look so GLAM in this dress!.As usual you've done a fantastic job.I love it.

Pamela Erny said...

What a lovely dress!

Pam from ~OFF THE CUFF STYLE~