Wednesday, April 18, 2007

I Did It! Butterick 5001

I started this some time ago and now I've finally finished what I started. I didn't think I'd be able to do it. I know how I am and I'm quick to move a challenge to the back burner to be dealt with later. I finally finished my dress. Technically, speaking this is a super easy dress to sew. It doesn't take any special knowledge and it isn't a difficult design. What was challenging for me was the FBA (or full bust adjustment). I always need to do one, yet I rarely do. I never want to take the time. This time, I armed myself with Debbie Cook's FBA instructions, a copy of Fit For Real People, a bunch of tape, tracing paper, rulers, pens and some liquid courage.

It was really intimidating to cut into that pattern piece, not because I was afraid I'd ruin it, I only paid a buck for the pattern. I was afraid I'd ruin it and I wouldn't know how I'd ruined it.





All in all, even if the dress hadn't been fit to wear, I'd have learned something and that was worth the money and the time spent. Now I feel like making another wrap style dress and doing all of the necessary adjustments, why not?

12 comments:

Nancy (nanflan) said...

Congratulations! The dress is stunning--you look like a million bucks.

Anonymous said...

THIS LOOKS SO GOOD ON YOU!!!! WELL DONE, and I love the fabric. I was so stunned when I logged onto your blog to see this pattern because I just purchased it from an Ebay seller and got it last weekend!
NOW, it is my turn to try it...a plus size woman.

Inquiring mind: How did you work out how much of an adjustment needed to be done? Did you go by your bust measurements?

Gemma

Melody said...

Hey Gemma, Given the fact that I was drinking when I did it, I'm not quite sure how I came to that conclusion. Knowing myself as I do, I'm sure I measured myself against the pattern. I used my paper tape double ("girlfriend" is her name) and I push pinned the pieces at the center front of me (girlfriend) which left me with some inches uncovered. I measured from the end of the pattern to where it should meet on the sides and then I slashed the pattern and added those inches in the fba. I think I cut out a 20W but I used an 18W for the skirt part. Good Luck on yours, send me a picture, won't you?

julia said...

"I always need to do one, yet I rarely do. I never want to take the time." --- I think I've found my twin! We've got the same problems and the same tools!!! You've inspired me to try a FBA, thanks! Suggestion with the pattern slashing reluctance.... hope about tracing the pattern piece off to work on it. That way if you get lost at least you could start over.

Anonymous said...

Wow Melody you did such a good job. I have this pattern also and I think I will give it a try this weekend seeing how beautiful it looks on you.

Dru

toya said...

YAY! I know you feel good, I am so happy it turned out great and I can't wait to see your next project, love the fabric also

OP Gal said...

I saw your beautiful dress reviewed on PR and detoured over to your blog. While reading your profile, I noticed that your favorite books are all on my list of favorite books, too. Obviously, you have marvelous taste in literature in addition to being a wonderful sewer. :-) I'll be looking forward to seeing more of your creations.

Anonymous said...

I seen your dress on PR, I love reading your reviews. Although not as full busted as you, am also built with that top bigger getting smaller as you go down - so I love seeing what you look good in, gives me ideas! I agree with the adjustments, don't know why I want to put off doing them -Laura

Els said...

You did a great job with the FBA, the wrap dress looks marvelous on you.
Enjoy making your purse.

Gaile said...

That looks absolutely fantastic on you! Way to go!

artist1lisa said...

I read the review,for this awesome dress,on PR and I love it.You have great style.Smart and sexy.Keep it up.

Audrey said...

congratulations! The dress is gorgeous and fits beautifully.